Thursday, May 3, 2007

Employee Spotlight #5- Phyllis

Name: Phyllis
Job: Executive assistant
What you like best about your job: Every day there’s something new or different, some challenge that keeps me engaged and excited to be here.
Born: Massachusetts
Education: Bachelor's of Music, Vocal Pedagogy, BYU
Places lived: Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Italy, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Florida, Alaska, and Utah.
Favorite candle: Folk Art Cinnavanilla Sundae
Favorite place to shop: Target! I go there at least five times a week for one thing or another.
Last good movie: Breach—I had low expectations, and it really surprised me.
Likes to watch: 24, Heroes, House, Survivor, Medium, ER, and Dirty Jobs.
Mostly get to watch: Dora the Explorer, Barbie, Care Bears, Blues Clues (my granddaughters live close)
Favorite pig out food: Brownies
Favorite music or artist: To play on the piano, Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven; to play on the radio, oldies (60’s and 70’s)
Person you admire: I can’t choose one! I think that every time I get to really know someone and hear their story, I admire them. Everybody is amazing once you know them. I learned this from attending lots of funerals as a church organist. Most were elderly people who I had barely known or known only as they aged. I’d hear their life story and be amazed that this person was living so close to me and I didn’t really know them. Someone I really admire right now is Elia in our accounting department. She is a single mother of two who just earned her master's degree in accounting while working full-time and commuting three hours a day to work! Is that not admirable?
Three words that describe you: (I need four!) “Jack of all trades”
Likes to do in your spare time: Play the piano, read, play with my granddaughters
If I've learned something in life, it is: Never say “never”

No comments: