Friday, May 4, 2007

Josh Travels to China II Volume 3

April 28, 2007

One last update before going to Beijing!

I woke up early this morning at around 5:45 and couldn’t get back to sleep. So, I checked my emails and found out my mom is signing me up for the St. George Marathon. I am kind of excited, but then again thinking what have I got myself in to… AGAIN! So, I had a little Rocky Balboa moment and decided to go down to the hotels health club to run. This would be my second time running this trip in the little gym. It is actually quite nice. Has everything that the Gold’s Gym back home has, just on a smaller scale. So, I jumped on one of the treadmills and started my usual 30min run. On a side note, the treadmills are a little smaller here. The rotating belt in narrower than the ones in the USA. It’s like being a gymnast and running on a balance beam. I have to focus a lot more to run straight so I don’t be one of the dorky people that fall off treadmills. I have seen it happen, not a pretty site. Funny, but I would hate for that to happen to me. I don’t know if I could stand the humiliation in front of all the people.

While I was running, I noticed a man get on the treadmill next to me. I looked at him and thought, “WOW, that shirt looks familiar!!” He was wearing a SLC Marathon shirt. Same one I had from when I was supposed to run the SLC Marathon last June, but couldn’t because I got sick (Sore subject with me, so we are moving on). I stopped my treadmill, shut off the iPod (I was listening to Metallica if you were wondering), and asked him if he was from Salt Lake. He said he was and was here to visit the show. We got to talking and he works at a company called OC Tanner. They make corporate gifts. I am guessing these are such things as anniversary watches, plaques, and other types of gifts an employer would give to their employees for long term loyalty or a job well done. It’s always nice to meet someone from the states while half way around the world, let alone someone from SLC. So that was cool. In case you were wondering, I did finish my run.

We have been staying at the China Hotel throughout our whole stay in Guangzhou.

Now on to Beijing. I will update you from there!

No comments: